Monday, May 3, 2010

Friendship

Most of us are blessed with many friends and a few “best” friends. I am very blessed. I have a handful of the latter. All but one I went to high school. Three live near me here in Atlanta, one in Nashville and in Meridian, MS (my hometown). These friends have been with me through marriage, childbirth, my husband’s death, my son’s wedding and my life now as an empty nester. We speak via email, text, facebook, phone and in person.

One my recent visit to Meridian, I had the pleasure of staying with one of my best friends. She, too, is now an empty nester and has been able to transform a prior child’s bedroom into a guest room…(my guest room). Really, the room was designed with me in mind. I was able to select the room color and she created her interpretation of what I like. It is fun room filled with photos of us, photos of our travels, fresh flowers (which I love) when I visit. The theme is my signature black and white with greens and oranges. She added to it her signature color, hot pink.

I love the 60′s. Too young to have lived it, but I love the patterns, the colors, the clothes. So with all this in mind, along with the traditional side of me, the decor idea was born. Mod furniture with damask bedspread and photos as the artwork, my friend is a photographer. On my last visit, a surprise was waiting. She could barely contain herself, so off to my room we went upon my arrival. To my shock, my friend had found a Jonathan Alder Barbie, equipped with black and white mod clothes, and furnishings. One would have thought we were 6 years old opening up our Christmas presents. She was elated and I was laughing and smiling just as she was hoping.

As we finally sat down to reflect, I looked at her and said “you have had so much fun redoing this room”. I was worrying what she would start doing with her spare time. Not for long, we are now working on her husband’s outdoor kitchen and living space. Next, I hope comes the kitchen I have been dying to do for her…:-) Keep on designing like you mean it, I say…haha!




No comments:

Post a Comment